[v6 General Discussion] PowerPoint Stops Working

Hi,
I have a pc with a fresh Windows 10 and Office 2010 install. But have a recurring fault.

Part way through a service when I go live with a PowerPoint presentation it often does not display. Typically we have a slide show displaying the weekly notices prior to the service start, if we have some sermon PPtx or reshow the starting slideshow slides as we go live they do not display, we get a blank screen. We remedy this by restarting EW and the Powerpoint displays OK. If I display one presentation after another to see if I can replicate the problem, they display OK - so it appears to be a error that comes with time. Songs, videos, music files all work faultlessly.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Hi!

Make sure that you do not have multiple versions of PowerPoint installed. If you do you will need to un-installed the one that you are not using and then reboot the computer. Then when you boot back up run a repair on the PowerPoint under the control panel in Windows and then reboot again.

Also run the repair on Office even if you only have the one version installed.
Hi Terry,

I checked for multiple versions of PowerPoint in the control panel and found none, I also ran a repair on office in the control panel and rebooted

The problem re-occured last Sunday so no fix as yet..... You did say to
run a repair on the PowerPoint under the control panel in Windows and reboot
however I could only see how to run a repair on Office, have I missed something here?

As next steps as was minded to try using the Viewer rather than the full application ( I do have it installed in a separate folder to Office 2010), to try EW7 and see if that does better, or even to run it with the virus scanner disabled. Is there anything else I should be trying?

Thanks, Mike
Office repair was the correct option. There is no PowerPoint repair.
Try this test.
Open EW and go live with a PowerPoint.
Check task manager and see if PowerPnt.exe is running.
If it is, then EW is finding PowerPoint and running it.
If it isn't, then EW can't find PowerPoint due to corrupted or incorrect registry keys.

You might try uninstalling office using the Office uninstaller app from Microsoft, then reinstall office.
Usually this is caused by broken OLE objects or incorrect registry keys that are pointing EasyWorship to the wrong location. Fixing this manually is almost impossible. Unfortunately these issues are caused by MS updates.
Here is a link to the office uninstaller.
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... df5dbf61d8
If you have a tool that can clean the registry, you might run that after running the office uninstaller.
Then reboot, and reinstall office.
Hi

This looks identical to the problem we were (and still are) having. When we check a schedule before the service everything runs perfectly (ditto, usually if we restart a stalled schedule) but after a schedule has been live for some time then the PP stalling starts to occur. My feeling is this has got progressively worse as later versions have been released. I have rigorously performed all the relevant troubleshooting steps. We are using latest EW with fully updated W10 & Office 365.

My original post is here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=15598&p=53191&hilit=powerpoint&sid=19e65ccd83d40a48cb6dded28dc8f43d#p53191

We are now putting a considerable amount of effort into bypassing PP using Easy Worship presentations - although this is not entirely straightforward. On the occasions when we have no choice but to use PP then we will project the PP 'outside' EW via PowerPoint itself. I have found that you can swap the live projection between EW and PP by simply clicking the relevant application on the 'control' screen. But it's not ideal.

EW presentations would be easier to set up if images, videos etc could be dragged onto slides from external folders without having to first be added to the media tab. I will add this as a separate post.
Hi Roger,

Last week I reinstalled Office, using the Microsoft uninstaller and registry cleaner before reinstalling.
On Sunday the sermon PowerPoint failed again, the initial PowerPoint notices loop worked correctly, followed by songs and scripture elements. When I loaded the sermon presentation, the projector screen was blank. Restarting EW fixed the problem.

I have done some further testing during the week but it is a slow business as I need to leave EW for about 30 minutes before it fails. PowerPnt.exe is visible in task manager while PowerPoint's are displaying, but not at other times. Running some tests this I week I noticed that when the EW PowerPoint fails to display, EW opens the PowerPoint application - visible on the Windows taskbar.

I have loaded EW7 and have failed to repeat the fault (using the same schedule and test). I plan to run the Sunday Service using EW7 to see how it goes, but open to other ideas...

Mike
Hi

I have also noticed that PP sometimes appears in the TaskBar but was never quite able to pin down what caused it. Don't really want to start diagnosing things in the middle of a service.

Mike ... a point of detail ... when the PP fails to project does it appear in the preview window but fails to show in the Live Window and on the projector? That's what most frequently happens with us. Sometimes the screen is black, sometimes the previous schedule item remains. I have also noticed that when displaying second and subsequent PP the first slide from the first PP brielfly flashes up before the selected PP goes live.

And ... do I understand correctly that you have been able to replicate the problem simply by starting up a schedule and just leaving it for 30 minutes or so? Or do you need to 'simulate' a service by moving through the schedule at intervals?

And ... Have you been able to replicate the problem elsewhere (e.g. on your home PC?). I have only seen it happen on the laptop we use at church and I guess I have left schedules open for quite a long time at home. I have two monitors on my home PC so that's as close as you can get to simulating the church setup I guess. I will run some more tests.

I am encouraged (if that's the right word) that someone else appears to be having the identical problem as us. It gives me some sense that it is maybe not something unique to our setup. I also note that you are not a massive distance away from us ... which may be useful at some point?

Roger ... do you believe there may be changes in 7 Beta which make PP problems less likely to occur? I may try and run some tests and see if can initiate the problem under 6 and 7 ... but as Mike says it's a bit painful as you to need to sit and wait to trigger the issue.

Thanks

John
Hi John,
A lot of questions here, so here here we go...

Mike ... a point of detail ... when the PP fails to project does it appear in the preview window but fails to show in the Live Window and on the projector? That's what most frequently happens with us. Sometimes the screen is black, sometimes the previous schedule item remains. I have also noticed that when displaying second and subsequent PP the first slide from the first PP brielfly flashes up before the selected PP goes live.
That is correct, it appears in the preview window & monitor live column. However the Monitor Live and projected image stays black.

And ... do I understand correctly that you have been able to replicate the problem simply by starting up a schedule and just leaving it for 30 minutes or so? Or do you need to 'simulate' a service by moving through the schedule at intervals?

The problem only occurs mid service, not sure if i have fully tested the conditions but i can reliably get the fault in EW6 if i open a second powerpoint after about half an hour after the first one. I run through some songs, scripture but don't think this makes a difference. I have done this same test in EW7 twice and had no problem.

And ... Have you been able to replicate the problem elsewhere (e.g. on your home PC?). I have only seen it happen on the laptop we use at church and I guess I have left schedules open for quite a long time at home. I have two monitors on my home PC so that's as close as you can get to simulating the church setup I guess. I will run some more tests.

I am encouraged (if that's the right word) that someone else appears to be having the identical problem as us. It gives me some sense that it is maybe not something unique to our setup. I also note that you are not a massive distance away from us ... which may be useful at some point?
I have EW6 loaded on several machines, it is only a problem on one of them - the Church Desktop.
Hi Mike

Just a quick update:

Like you the only installation that seems to give the problem is the laptop we use at church for services!

I have had the church laptop at home for 24 hours but I cannot replicate the issue here - although I have had the laptop & EW running for some hours - so still at a loss to nail down the issue. The only thing I can think is that it might be to do with the link to the projector - which uses a docking station. The projector, network and mouse all connect via this to the laptop via USB. But then why does it only fail during a service with PP?

I will try EW7 some time when I am operating the desk - so I can rescue the situation if the 'hanging' occurs. Not all our operators have the ability to firefight when a PP won't launch. In the meantime we are minimising our use of PP as far as possible - I think we can do a lot using EW Presentations.
Oh Dear,

I ran the service this morning using EW7, this was with projectors this time. EW failed to display PowerPoint's twice , the initial notices PowerPoint loop was fine, but after songs and scripture the children's talk and sermon PowerPoint's both failed to display, the PowerPoint icon appearing on the task bar. Restarting EW fixes the problem, but is disruptive to the smooth flow of the service.

I have done all the troubleshooting steps to no avail. As John suggests maybe it is a problem with our projector set up. The graphics cards is a GTX1050t with HDMI to VGA adapters that in turn connects to the projector using VGA cable via a Kramer signal booster. The PC is an i5 2500 3.3GHz with 8GB Ram.

Any idea's...
I decided to try EW7 this morning. It was just a basic service Hymns & readings - no PP. This worked fine - but seems like I can't expect it to fix the PP issue so we will continue with our mission to eliminate PP as far as possible. It does mean more work but possibly not as much as you might anticipate.

I am running a training session for our schedule creators and desk operators next Saturday (20th). It is mainly concerned with eliminating PP as far as possible. I can make the Documentation (& accompanying PP if I create one) available to you if you think that might be of interest. Or you can join us if you like! 10.00 am Sat 20th Jan Wilmslow Methodist Church.

The main tool will be to turn (non-complex) PP into EW Presentations (EWP). This is fairly easy to do - if you haven't seen it there is a good video here http://training.easyworship.com/support ... powerpoint

What it doesn't specifically tell you is that you can export a PP as a folder of jpgs and then create an EWP from the images ... as per the video. We've done this a few times and it's really quick & easy to do. Obviously it won't handle complicated transitions but it is straightforward (relatively) to add timings and to play an audio track across a presentation. As previously the annoying issue is having to add all images to the media tab before you can use them ON a slide.

Simple EWPs are not difficult to create from scratch. We use one for our pre-service loop (although we tend just to use the same basic one each week).

Hope this might help a bit. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Don't know if it helps but I attach a zipped schedule with some EWP in. The communion is a straight PP conversion. The "Demo with timer .." was a PP which had a (very complicated) countdown timer built in PP which I replaced with a countdown video

Let me know if you can't access or run.
Until EW offers animations in their slides, we will not even consider dropping PowerPoint.
craigmash - are you also having the issue with a PowerPoint 'stalling' when sending it live?
craigmash - are you also having the issue with a PowerPoint 'stalling' when sending it live?

Nope. Not that particular problem.
I have done all the troubleshooting steps to no avail. As John suggests maybe it is a problem with our projector set up. The graphics cards is a GTX1050t with HDMI to VGA adapters that in turn connects to the projector using VGA cable via a Kramer signal booster. The PC is an i5 2500 3.3GHz with 8GB Ram. Any idea's...

I did some further testing today, loading the PowerPoint into the resource area before loading into the schedule - made no difference.
Initial PowerPoint presentations display on the projector as expected, however after EW has been open for 5 minutes or so when I go live with the next presentation, the powerpoint, after a delay, opens in the application on the desktop. Restarting EW fixes this but the pattern will repeat.
I did connect the Church projector setup into a laptop using the HDMI output and all was well. Looks like a PC problem!.