[v6 General Discussion] 3 major problems with EWS 6

We're still using EWS 2009, but recently I talked with our team of volunteers about switching to EWS 6. Main reason is Alpha channel (very useful for text overlay in our video stream). Unfortunately I was not able to convince them. The main obstacles for us are:

* No check for changes:
An absolute must have. How are we going to distribute updates to our EWS DB amongst the volunteers?
* Automatic scripture reflow:
If it worked, this would have been a very nice feature. But there's just too much wrong with this feature (mid senctence breaks etc). We'd rather disable it. I know there's an option to break on every verse, but that's not what we want. Can an option be added to disable reflow entirely?
* No editor, i.e. no undo/redo: why has this been removed?

I know all of these points have been brought up on this forum already and that the check for changes is being worked on. But what about the other two: disabling scripture reflow and the undo/redo function?

Hi pbouthoorn,

Thanks for the feedback. It's very helpful and helps us make a better product.

We will have the check for changes feature in the next update.
The option to turn off scripture reflow will be in our next update.
Undo is planned, but won't be there in the next update.
I would like to get more detail on what's not working for you with reflow.
I can see that breaks mid sentence can be problematic. I've experienced that myself.
I'll have submit that to the developers to see if we can improve upon the slide break algorithm.
I normally use the break on new verse function and combine slides if I need to.
What else do you feel can be improved with the reflow function?
What do you expect it to do for you?
Could you explain what the problem is with adding the undo? It was there in 2009, so this doesn't seem like that big a deal.

As to reflow, you must have noticed this yourself, but for instance take the first chapter of Genesis from HCSB.

Sheet 1:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness covered the surface of the watery depths, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw

Sheet 2:
that the light was good, and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and He called the darkness "night." Evening came, and then morning: the first day. 6 Then God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters, separating water from water." 7 So

Sheet 3:
God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above the expanse. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." Evening came, and then morning: the second day. 9 Then God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered into one place, and let the dry land

Sheet 4:
appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry land "earth," and He called the gathering of the water "seas." And God saw that it was good. 11 Then God said, "Let the earth produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit with seed in it, according to their

Sheet 5:
appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry land "earth," and He called the gathering of the water "seas." And God saw that it was good. 11 Then God said, "Let the earth produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit with seed in it, according to their

Now, I could explain what I would be expect the reflow function to do, but I think this example is pretty self explanatory!
Hi,

I can't get into much detail on the undo feature, but I can say if it was simple or even somewhat difficult, it would have already been done. It is a feature that will take some time and resources to get in there. We are working toward adding it, but it has to be done at the right time.

Thanks for the other input on reflow. I'm not sure there is a way to keep it from breaking like that, since it calculates off of the amount of text on the screen and breaking by punctuation is really not a good model to use. I have a request into the developer to take another look though.

Until the next update releases, you can set the minimum font size to 0 and it should pretty much keep it from reflowing the text, then you can break the slides using ctrl+enter.
Unfortunately, creating new slides with ctrl+enter is not without problems either. For instance if I type ctrl+enter in the first sheet before "4" this is what happens:

Sheet 2:

4 God

Typing delete after God will result in:

4 God Genesis 1:4-6 (HCSB)
saw that the light was good, and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and He called the darkness "night." Evening came, and then morning: the first day. 6 Then God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters, separating

Notice that the scripture reference is now part of the text? Of course this text can be removed, but it's a hassle (especially with the lack of a real editor!).
I'm not getting the same result.
I place the cursor before the 4 and press ctlr+enter and get what I should get.
[attachment=0:3dvuu1vv]Screenshot 2016-12-30 13.29.44.png[/attachment:3dvuu1vv]
Please tell me how to get that result.

Furthermore, what happens when you try to add sheet 3 to sheet 2, i.e. deleting the break after "day."? That's when the problem with the scripture reference arises.
Hi there,

I don't mean to butt into the conversation here, but the solution that works best for me is that I still have Easyworship 2009 installed on my system. The only thing I use it for is to lookup scripture, and then copy it to the clipboard. From there, I paste it into a song, and then break up the selection of verses as I see fit.

I find the Easyworship 6 scripture tool to be aggravating, at best, to use. I don't like to have superscript verse numbers in the projected scripture, and editing the scripture projected on each slide is time consuming.

I'm not sure if this could potentially be a solution to your problems, but having had the same difficulties that you are dealing with, I wanted to let you know what works for me.
Hi pbouthoorn,

First I set the minimum font size to 0, EW will change it back to 14, but that's ok. The next version will let you just use a check box to turn off the reflow function, but this is a work around for now.
[attachment=3:178uzrcn]Screenshot 2017-01-03 11.15.24.png[/attachment:178uzrcn]
Then I select the scripture and drag it to the schedule.
Right click on it in the schedule and edit it.
And press ctrl+enter after verse 3
[attachment=2:178uzrcn]Screenshot 2017-01-03 11.17.58.png[/attachment:178uzrcn]

This pretty much duplicates the function of EasyWorship 2009.

If you get something stuck in the reference, you can press the button on the toolbar that look like indent to move it into the scripture area of the slide.
[attachment=1:178uzrcn]Screenshot 2017-01-03 11.22.04.png[/attachment:178uzrcn]

[attachment=0:178uzrcn]Screenshot 2017-01-03 11.23.01.png[/attachment:178uzrcn]
Hi alexlouisarmstrong,

You may remove the verse numbers by unchecking the option to show verse numbers.
Click edit, options, scripture and uncheck the box to show verse numbers, then click OK.
This will remove the verse numbers from the text displayed on the screen, but not from the text in the words view.
[attachment=0:1enjt85t]Screenshot 2017-01-03 11.26.55.png[/attachment:1enjt85t]
Ah, by setting the font size to 0, you're effectively disabling reflow. Yep, that works. Thanks for the tip.
Nope, I spoke to soon, it does not work. I put the minimum font size to 0 and for the first sheet I'm getting the same result as you did. But when I press ctrl+enter I get:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness covered the surface of the watery depths, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
4 God saw that the light was good, and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and He called the darkness "night." Evening came, and then morning: the first day. 6 Then God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters, separating water from water." 7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above the expanse. And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." Evening came, and then morning: the second day. 9 Then God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered into one place, and let the dry land appear." And it was so. 10 God called the dry land "earth," and He called the gathering of the water "seas." And God saw that it was good. 11 Then God said, "Let the earth produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit with seed in it, according to their kinds." And it was so. 12 The earth brought forth vegetation: seed-bearing plants according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it, according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 Evening came, and then morning: the third day. 14 Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night. They will serve as signs for festivals and for days and years. 15 They will be lights in the expanse of the sky to provide light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made the two great lights--the greater light to have dominion over the day and the lesser light to have dominion over the night--as well as the stars. 17 God placed them in the expanse of the sky to provide light on the earth, 18 to dominate the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 Evening came, and then morning: the fourth day. 20 Then God said, "Let the water

Apparently, it just inserts a newline, not a new sheet. Now what??
It sounds like the ctrl key isn't working properly.
I've attached a video of how I do it.
Ah...found it. I was editing the text in the right (large) window. Works fine when entering ctrl+enter in the left window. Thanks again.
Hi - I came across this thread as it is the problem I have been working on for the last couple of hours! Thanks for the workaround, but this has created another problem for me, namely that when I change the minimum font size to 0, my scripture reference text (which I have at top right of slide) is now very, very small - too small to read.

Is there a way to make this reference text without changing the size of the rest of the text?

Thanks,
Matt