[v6 General Discussion] On The Fly Changes

Nack in EW2009, when we had a on the fly song, I could select the song in the database, then click a background in the pull down, then go live with that.

In EW6, I am struggling with getting this done as fast. I do use Themes it just does not work as quickly as far as I can tell. I can go to the song database and select a song, then go to the Theme tab and drag a theme up to that song on the Preview pane. That is fine, however, as soon as I click off the Theme tab and then click back to it, it does not save where I was.

I have a collection of Themes I use each month, and when I click back to the Themes tab, it changes back to the top where is shows ALL song themes. So I have to scroll back down to my current month collection which is a real pain.

First, am I missing something. Am I doing this on the fly the best possible way?

Second, is there any way to make the Themes tab stay where I was? Perhaps if the LIVE button is pressed, it will now stay put?

The compose function allows you to do this, but the software will always go to the songs, scripture or presentation themes depending on where you are coming from.
So it would work like this.
Select the song in the db, click on themes tab, double click the theme you want to use.
If you want to use a collection, you'll have to click on the collection, then select then double click the theme.
Okay. That confirms I am doing it the correct way.

Why does the Themes tab revert back to the default every time? Why would it not stay where a user left it?
The logic is that it needs to be on the same type of theme category that matches where you came from.
If it remembered what was last used, you might come back to the theme tab to find it on scriptures or presentations.
This way it's at least on the right type of theme.
The logic is that it needs to be on the same type of theme category that matches where you came from.
If you remembered what was last used, you might come back to the theme tab to find it on scriptures or presentations.
This way it's at least on the right type of theme.

That makes sense, however, when working a live service it is not optimal. It is basically a feature that protects people who do not pay attention. It is quite horrible for us as on our live machine, I do not keep the bottom database screen very large so it requires scrolling down to get to the proper collection. We have on the fly changes all the time and this is causing a major slowdown.

As it was with automatically packing a schedule, this looks like a feature that should allow a user how they want it to work. I could even be a registry edit to make it happen.
In 2009 you still had to scroll through a list of backgrounds to pick the right one. Doing this would essentially set the default background every time you made that change. Personally I would set a default background (theme) that I knew would work ok on any song and not mess with changing background mid service. How many spontaneous songs are you doing in a service?
In 2009 you still had to scroll through a list of backgrounds to pick the right one. Doing this would essentially set the default background every time you made that change. Personally I would set a default background (theme) that I knew would work ok on any song and not mess with changing background mid service. How many ad hoc songs are you doing in a service?

In EW2009, I would put all the backgrounds I might need at the bottom so they would be right there. I do have backgrounds set for all songs but they do not fit the CMG themes that we are doing now.

usually no more than 1, but have had times when we did 2 or 3.

I guess I could rename the current months Themes so that they all appear at the top of the list, but again, a real pain.
I'll forward this over to the development team to see if there is anything that can be done to make it easier.
Sounds like a favorites list or most used list within the song themes area might be helpful?
I'll forward this over to the development team to see if there is anything that can be done to make it easier.

Thanks!
Following...

One thing I've wondered - what if we could set a collection as the default for the tab? That way, prior to service, you choose a short list of theme files to use on the fly, and there's less scrolling/hunting even if the pane does reset to top each time you access it. (I'd also want the Inspector window, etc., to default to that identified collection while editing themes and selecting images/motion bgs.)

What do you think, craigmash? Worth a feature request, or would that not solve this issue?