Managing Media

When I try to delete media image files from inside EW, I am prompted "Are you sure you want to delete?", I say YES and nothing happens.  The image files end up hanging in my media library.  I now have way too many and need to clean them out.  Only some will actually delete and others just won't.  What do I need to do to get rid of them?  This happens whenever I do a special event or holiday schedule and then don't need those images for another year.  Thanks in advance!

First, what version and build of EW are you running? If you are one EW7,  Version 7.4.1.9 is the latest and best. If you aren't running that you really need to download and update to that release. You can download it from here.

That said, the only problem I've run into is trying to delete multiple files at once which pretty much causes EW to stop working. I've found that it's best to delete one file at a time. I've also found that when you have problems deleting files in general, it's a good idea to reboot the computer and open the program to start over.

If that doesn't help you might have some corruption of Windows File System and you need to run Chkdsk to fix that.

Open administrative command prompt and type chkdsk /r then hit enter. Let it run to completion and then try deleting again.  You may be prompted that you need to reboot the compute to run this. If so, type y and then hit enter to continue. It will reboot the computer and run Chkdsk.

Windows 10: Opening the Command Prompt as Administrator
  1. Press the Windows Start button at the bottom left.
  2. Type in "Command Prompt".
  3. Right click on Command Prompt and click "Run as administrator".
  4. Click Yes if the Windows 10 User Account Control prompt is displayed.
  5. The Command Prompt should appear.

If that doesn't solve the issue you'll need additional assistance from actual EW Support as your Media database may be corrupted os something similar. I'm just a user attempting to assist fellow users.

Louise,

Another option to delete media is to right click on any media item in the Resource area and open the file location and you can select and delete any of the media in the windows folder that you don't want.

Yes, that is the route I have been using, however, I just thought there must be another way inside EW.  Thank you!

You should be able to delete it in EW under Media, but if it's in use, it won't be able to delete. If you have multiple items selected and one of those items is being used, it won't be able to delete any of them. Try closing and reopening EW and don't go live to anything and see if you can delete the items you want.

I'll give it a shot.  Thank You.

Login to post a comment