[v7 General Discussion] Powerpoint output goes to separate Powerpoint Slide Show

Having moved all the software to a new computer everything works except for Powerpoint played through Easyworship 7. What happens is that when we go live with the powerpoint it causes an instance of Powerpoint Slide Show to be opened rather than displayin the slides through Easyworship. In the Live panel you can see and select all the slides but the output does not reflect the selection - it is either blank or just shows the first slide. If you minimise Easyworship and give the focus to the Powerpoint slide show that was opened you can then use up and down arrow to move through the slides.

We are running Easyworship 7.1.3.0 and Microsoft Office Profession Plus 2016.

From the Help menu Powerpoint troubleshooting we get

INSTALLED VERSION INFORMATION

** ComObject32 Info **

FOUND - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\ProgID

FOUND - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\ProgID\Default

FOUND - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\LocalServer32

FOUND - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\LocalServer32\Default

> Full Version Added (16.00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE, 32)

** ComObject64 Info **

FOUND - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\ProgID

FOUND - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\ProgID\Default

FOUND - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\LocalServer32

FOUND - HKCR\CLSID\{91493441-5A91-11CF-8700-00AA0060263B}\LocalServer32\Default

> Full Version Added (16.00, C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE, 64)

** Registry32 Info **

FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot

** Registry64 Info **

FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications

FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\InstallRoot\PowerPoint

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\InstallRoot\Path

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications

FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot\PowerPoint

FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\InstallRoot\Path

! Full Version Skipped (16.00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE, 64) - Already added.

! Viewer Skipped (16.00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\PPTVIEW.EXE, 64) - File missing.

FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot\PowerPoint

FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot\Path

! Full Version Skipped (16.00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\POWERPNT.EXE, 64) - Already added.

! Viewer Skipped (16.00, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\PPTVIEW.EXE, 64) - File missing.

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\ClickToRunStore\Applications

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Common\InstallRoot

NOT FOUND - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\PowerPoint\InstallRoot

Most likely this is due to having had both 64 and 32 bit versions of Office installed. Try completely uninstalling office using option 1 and 2 on this page then reinstall office.
I've noticed this - or something like it - testing EW7.1.3 - when I load a schedule that starts with a powerpoint, on going live with the ppt, output goes to a separate ppt window, not the EW 'live' window (as if EW is not catching the ppt output to deal with), at first - after a few slides (its a rolling ppt)/a little while/restarting EW7 the problem goes away, so I've not regarded it as a real problem. This is using Powerpoint Viewer 2010.
Just installed the new update.... 7.1.3 not sure exactly why I did that because EasyWorship has been stable for a while now!!!! Unfortunately since downloading the new version we have the same problem, EW opens a powerpoint separately to EasyWorship not via the EW "Live Window".... When I close the PowerPoint Window it asks if I want to save presentation 1...

REALLY regret loading the updated version as previous one was working REALLY well....
You can roll back to the previous build here https://www.easyworship.com/downloads/ew_builds/Archive/v7/EasyWorship-7.0.4.1.zip ]Easyworship
Thank you for this. I rolled the version back but unfortunately I still have the problem... As I said EW has been stable for months (Great Product) but since I did this update Powerpoint is now not going through EW even though I have rolled back the version.... Nothing else has changed on the system. It is a PC in our auditorium that we use ONLY for Sunday Mornings.
I have had the very same problem with 7.0.4.1 and the latest version 7.1.3. I have done all the general ppt troubleshooting steps. EW support have remoted on to have a look but no resolution. I use ppt viewer and Windows 10. PC meets the recommended spec.

Currently living with the issue and hoping for a fix...

Still watching the forum hoping for something new.
Please check your windows event log. You'll probably find that PowerPoint crashed at some point and is stuck open. EasyWorship is pretty much doing its best to open and display a slideshow through another program "PowerPoint" then close it out when it's done. When the program (PowerPoint) decides not to cooperate, you will have issues like this. This is a result of not having an API to interact with PowerPoint. We have to use OLE Automation and other behind the scenes trickery to make this work. If your install of Office isn't perfectly healthy this more than likely will not work well. For example if you have or have had multiple copies of Office installed. maybe 64 bit then 32 bit, there are bits and pieces left in the registry that can trip EasyWorship up, causing it to think you have 64 bit office when you really have 32 bit office. This is just one of the many problems you can run into. Our development team has spent countless hours fixing PowerPoint then unfixing it, then fixing it, then fixing it a little more and so on. :) When there is no API this it the lot of a developer. I share this to help you understand that there isn't a straight forward way to launch PowerPoint, present a slideshow on the screen of your choosing including foldback or through ndi, give complete control of it, then gracefully and seamlessly close it out when you are done with it in order to go to the next item in the schedule. We will do our best to continue to make the PowerPoint feature function as it should, but it would be advantageous to start moving items that don't have to be in PowerPoint into EasyWorship presentations.
Hi Rodger,

I appreciate your continuing efforts to make this functionality more reliable.

Folk get very attached to particular software - we generally are very comfortable with EW, the same loyalty applies to PowerPoint. To help me with your suggestion "to start moving items that don't have to be in PowerPoint into EasyWorship presentations" it would be helpful to have a import functionality to import PowerPoint slides as images into EW presentations. I appreciate the limitations to this approach but will help with most of our presentations.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure this makes it into the feature request list.
With Powerpoint not working I decided to jump in and try and use presentations instead! I have created announcement loops etc but I have not found an easy way to duplicate a presentation... We have four different sunday night services so I want to copy a presentation and just change the last slide for end of service loop... eg week 1 Prayer Night, Week 2 Youth Band etc etc. In powerpoint I use save as to easily duplicate a file or I do this in windows explorer... how do I do this in Presentations.... I am sure it is really simple I just cant see how to do it and I am really wanting to find an alternative to powerpoint as you have suggested that!

I also want to second the idea of being able to import a powerpoint into a presentation as a future feature!!! I have managed to follow the training video and created PNG's and then used them etc but often we are given files at the last minute by visiting speakers (a regular occurrence...) and I would love to be able to simply import them. I managed to convince the church here to purchase Easyworship over another product as it used powerpoint seamlessly (was a big selling point!!!) so a feature of importing powerpoints easily to presentations would be AMAZING!!!!
EW Presentations are pretty basic compared to what can be created using PowerPoint. EW Presentations are fine for simple slides - and we use them in that way - but there is no comparison if you want to do really creative things with Animations and Transitions. PowerPoint is going to be with us for a while to come.
Maybe EW should look into using LibreOffice Impress to display presentations files in addition to PPT. Impress doesn't make the major changes nearly as often as PPT does and doesn't do the auto updates like PPT does. Add in that LibreOffice is free so it would be of great interest to churches with smaller budgets. Impress might not be able to do 100% of what PPT can do, it's a darn sight more feature rich than the presentation integrated into EW when it comes to transitions and animations.

Plus since it's Open Source you have access to the source code.
Further to Rodgers reply (Jan 29th post), when I import a PowerPoint into the Presentations database, does it become a Presentation or is it still a PowerPoint?
It stays as a PowerPoint. All EW does is import it into it's database and it's file hierarchy structure. If you go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Softouch\Easyworship\Default\Resources\Presentations (replace Default with the profile name you used if you didn't use Default) and you'll see that EW created a copy of your PowerPoint that can still be played with PowerPoint.