[v6 General Discussion] Editing Songs

I am having trouble editing songs. According to the help, pressing Enter after typing the text will create a new slide. This doesn't happen, it just continues adding blank lines. So the only way I can create new slides is to click the button. Because of this I cannot split the text into 2 slides. I can't even add a new slide and then cut and paste the text as I can't find any way of Cutting or copying.

Hold CTRL while hitting Enter. It took a bit of experimenting to figure that one out.

It will also let me make a blank slide at the beginning and the ending of a song, like downloaded from Song Select, so I can have a graphic up to transition in to and out of without having to use the "Clear" button.

It looks like the help file is wrong. I'll see to it that is updated with Ctrl+Enter.
I'm also having some odd goings on when I edit songs.

If my edit consists of adding a line, then nothing happens to the song in the schedule when I edit the song in the database - not unexpected, but EW2009 gave you the option to update the song in the schedule, EW6 appears not to.

When I then add the new version of the song to the schedule, I get it in twice, both songs being the new version! When I then display that song, I get the old version and then about 1 second later the new version comes up!

However, when I edit a song by adding an image or background, I still get two copies when I add the edited version to the schedule but in this case the old version is unchanged and the new one added so I have the choice of using either old or new.

I would be grateful if we can have an explanation of what is intended to happen - please!
Is there a way to rearrange the text area for all slides in a song? In 2009, you can the text area for a single slide, it will be the same for the the rest of the slides. In EW6, you change the text area in the single slide, it will just be changed for that slide, it does not affect the other slides. It's great to have that feature, but we should be able to easily change the text area to match for all slides. Checked the help file but found that it's pretty slim on what we can do, so thus asking here.
You might be able to use a Theme, revert to Blank theme and apply new theme. Can do this in Song Editor. I did get an error when working with a converted song but worked on a newly entered song.
I was using a theme. But these are EW2009 songs and I am going through each and every song to apply the theme and then so some modification, and this was part of it.
I'm also having some odd goings on when I edit songs.

If my edit consists of adding a line, then nothing happens to the song in the schedule when I edit the song in the database - not unexpected, but EW2009 gave you the option to update the song in the schedule, EW6 appears not to.

I agree, if you edit a song in the schedule it would be great if a popup box appeared with "Do You Want To Update Song In Database" or somesuch, also if you edit a song in the database a popup with "Do you want to update the song in schedule?"

When I then add the new version of the song to the schedule, I get it in twice, both songs being the new version! When I then display that song, I get the old version and then about 1 second later the new version comes up!

The software seems to build each slide afresh each time and it is not too quick about it, I found this to be a problem when I tried changing a font option in the Edit drop down from the top menu as nothing appeared to happen then lots changed

However, when I edit a song by adding an image or background, I still get two copies when I add the edited version to the schedule but in this case the old version is unchanged and the new one added so I have the choice of using either old or new.

I would be grateful if we can have an explanation of what is intended to happen - please!
Have been trying to edit existing, imported from EW2009, songs. Multi line labels are appearing, ie the label and then the first line of the verse or in one occasion the entire verse as the label, fonts are changing to Times New Roman without being asked and with Tahoma being set everywhere. If I highlight a piece of text, either the label or the verse, then sometimes the font size or font description disappears. Blank lines appear after I resize text, sometimes on the next slide. Clicking Okay then going back to editor shows that changes are not always saved.
Hopefully I'm just finding known bugs and a very soon to be released update will fix this, it's very frustrating.
How about if the song editor had a simple tick box at the top, "Tick" to use global settings, leave blank to have your custom individual settings used by default. That way I could know that when I start EW6 I do not have to check all my songs for that service again.
Still some very odd things going on in the Song editor.

If I create a song which just consists of a Label "label 1" and 2 lines, "line 1, line 2" then all looks good in the preview.

When I save it then add it to the schedule and project it I get a 3 line song "Label1, line 1, line 2" with no verse label.

However, If I label the verse "Verse 1" it seems to behave as expected. Is there a restriction as to what labels are allowed?
Still some very odd things going on in the Song editor.

If I create a song which just consists of a Label "label 1" and 2 lines, "line 1, line 2" then all looks good in the preview.

When I save it then add it to the schedule and project it I get a 3 line song "Label1, line 1, line 2" with no verse label.

However, If I label the verse "Verse 1" it seems to behave as expected. Is there a restriction as to what labels are allowed?

Curious, as I have managed to have entire Hymn lines appear as a label I don't think there is a restriction. Fully acknowledge that this doesn't answer your question.....
In EW6 Build 1.4 (released over the weekend) import of EW2009 database is much cleaner. It appears most attributes are migrated only a few background images/videos are missing and some justification is ignored.

The editor seems better behaved without extra slides and lines being added. I will try some more testing this week.
I have noticed the same thing as well. I created a new song, three verses, each verse has 8 lines. I labeled the verses Verse 1, Verse 2 and Verse 3. All is well and it behaves as expected. I then decided to split each verse into two slides, because 8 lines was just too much on one slide. So now I have 6 slides. I labeled them Verse 1 Verse 1b Verse 2 Verse 2b etc. After saving, the Verse 1 Verse 2 and Verse 3 label stay in the label field, just as before. The Verse 1b Verse 2b and Verse 3b labels don't stay in the label field, they become the first line of that slide. Not sure why it's doing that. For now I just removed the labels with the "b" and the problem is solved.
I suggested to the EW developers that the Label line needs to be more prominent, with a colored background like EW2009 or bigger font. On HD displays with no scaling the bold text doesn't look much different.

I have found that you can press Delete to bring first line up to label; but no quick way to go other direction. You have to cut-n-paste text from label body.

New song does add extra slides by breaking on blank lines, also moves Label down to song text. Fortunately one of the developers (Jeff) was able to reproduce and is working on a fix. [Mentioned in another post]

Still Schedule editor can successfully make and save changes back into schedule. They need to consolidate their code so all editors handle slides the same way.