[Equipment Configurations] Advice for New Desktop

Hi all,

Our church just recently purchased EasyWorship 7, and now our next challenge to purchase a desktop with sufficient power for projection to three different destinations (operator, congregation, foldback) i.e. triple output, at 1080p resolution.

From the system requirements, we understand that we need at least an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 or higher graphics card and a 3.2 GHz Intel i7, if we want to achieve 4K. However, since 1080p is only approximately "2K", but we do need triple output, we're not sure how to proceed.

Currently, we're looking at the range of i5 (8400, 8500, 8600) and i7 8700, with a GTX 1080. Would anyone be able to comment on whether we should scale up/down?

Dominic

Microsoft says you should buy a new computer if yours is more than 3 years old, since Windows 10 might run slowly on older hardware and won't offer all the new features. If you have a computer that's still running Windows 7 but is still fairly new, then you should upgrade

Completely unnecessary. Any Intel based system running a 4th Gen Core i5 or i7 processor will run Easy Worship Windows 10 quite well with an appropriate graphics card and an SSD. Any 2nd Gen Core i3, i5, or i7 or later will Windows 10 just fine, but I would recommend using an SSD instead of a spinning rust hard drive. While i3s in general and 2nd and 3rd Gen i5s and i7 will struggle with EW to some extent, they will still function extremely well as basic office or every day computers. It's the more demanding tasks like Video Editing, 3d Modeling, Projection like EW or ProPresenter that could cause some issues.

As far as AMD systems go, anything older that Ryzen architecture should definitely be replaced except for the most basic tasks.
And please post back with your final results. Both what you ended up with and how well it is working for you.
No problem. Good luck.

That CPU would be ideal and the included heatsink/fan should be sufficient. I would keep an eye on the temps in the beginning tho. If it starts running above 70C a lot or the fan is too noisy then replace it with something better like a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 or similar.

Thanks
That CPU would be ideal and the included heatsink/fan should be sufficient. I would keep an eye on the temps in the beginning tho. If it starts running above 70C a lot or the fan is too noisy then replace it with something better like a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 or similar.
Would you suggest purchasing a separate CPU fan rather than using the one that comes with the processor?

Just look for an i5-8400, 8500, or 8600. Just because the link shows out of stock doesn't mean that they aren't available from Amazon, B&H Photo, or other sellers. Newegg sells the boxed retail versions as well as OEM versions that aren't in retail packaging. They are the same actual cpu, just packaged differently. Get whichever one is the best deal. Just stay away from third party sellers as they sometimes send out fake parts.

As for the case, you can substitute any ATX or MATX case that you can find for a good price. Just make sure that it conforms to the motherboard size. MATX is smaller and can fit in an ATX case. An ATX motherboard is larger and won't fit in a MATX case.

Any GTX 1050 will be fine. Several brands have them and they are all decent. Just pick up the one that is the best deal.

Essentially, the way items go in and out of stock any list can become obsolete within a day or two if it is too specific. If you give me an idea of your budget I can probably figure one out tomorrow sometime. Or if you make a shopping list from one of the sites you can post it and we can look it over and make suggestions.

How about this CPU?

Just look for an i5-8400, 8500, or 8600. Just because the link shows out of stock doesn't mean that they aren't available from Amazon, B&H Photo, or other sellers. Newegg sells the boxed retail versions as well as OEM versions that aren't in retail packaging. They are the same actual cpu, just packaged differently. Get whichever one is the best deal. Just stay away from third party sellers as they sometimes send out fake parts.

As for the case, you can substitute any ATX or MATX case that you can find for a good price. Just make sure that it conforms to the motherboard size. MATX is smaller and can fit in an ATX case. An ATX motherboard is larger and won't fit in a MATX case.

Any GTX 1050 will be fine. Several brands have them and they are all decent. Just pick up the one that is the best deal.

Essentially, the way items go in and out of stock any list can become obsolete within a day or two if it is too specific. If you give me an idea of your budget I can probably figure one out tomorrow sometime. Or if you make a shopping list from one of the sites you can post it and we can look it over and make suggestions.

The minimum card for this system should be the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050, but the 1060 or 1070 would be a good upgrade. All of the GTX cards support 3 - 4 independent screens.

You might look at the i5-8600K It's a 6 core processor that can clock up to 4.5 GHz. Pretty good bang for the buck.

I also recommend going with an NVMe SSD

Here's a link to a parts list. https://secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=1C28PaQ4yCp7TP7wGEQ7vw%3d%3d&&cm_mmc=snc-email-_-sr-_-wishlist-1C28PaQ4yCp7TP7wGEQ7vw%3d%3d-_-01/11/2019]EasyWorship Newegg Parts List

Is there an updated list. Several of the items in the wishlist are out of stock.
The 8600k could be a good choice if you happened to catch it on sale for the same price or less than the 8400 though. I just wouldn't pay more for it for an application where absolute stability is key like EW would be. The last thing someone needs is to have the computer crash in the middle of a service due to poorly implemented overclocking.
Yep, I swapped the 8600K out with the 8400. Good observation!
You would never notice the difference aside from benchmarks. The only real advantage the 8600k has is that it can be overclocked, but for use in EasyWorship you really shouldn't be overclocking anyway.
Let me ask you...

Would the i5-8400 be much of a performance hit compared to the i5-8600k? It's not much of a price difference but $65 is $65, lol.
Thanks Rodger!
I've updated the wishlist from newegg.